Vaginal Dysbacteriosis and How to Fix It
Vaginal dysbacteriosis brings a lot of discomfort to women. Little known fact, research reveals close to 95% of women experience this. It is not dangerous and does not pose a threat to the woman's life but if not treated it can cause infertility. Also, it can cause a miscarriage during pregnancy.
What is vaginal dysbacteriosis?
Vaginal dysbacteriosis is a bacterial disorder of the flora in a woman's vagina. It is a decrease in the number of lactic acid bacteria, and an increase in anaerobes, in particular, Gardnerella. Sometimes doctors call it Gardnerella vaginosis. As I mentioned, almost every woman has had vaginal dysbacteriosis at least once in her life.
Main reasons for developing vaginal dysbacteriosis
· decreased immunity (The most important reason)
· frequent hypothermia (when you often get too cold)
· hormonal imbalance
· a sudden change in climate
· constant stress
· lack of sexual hygiene and frequent change of partners
· not using condoms (the risk of getting vaginal dysbacteriosis skyrockets if the man has other sexual partners too and you are not using condoms)
· chronic infectious diseases of the pelvic organs
· genital infections
· taking antibiotics
· issues with the gastrointestinal tract
As practice and statistics show, most often vaginal dysbacteriosis occurs as a result of several factors at once. That is why a decrease in immunity, chronic infections and hormonal disbalance during pregnancy often provoke the miscarriage.
Symptoms of vaginal dysbacteriosis
Often this imbalance goes unnoticed for women. But some signs of disbalance in the bacterial flora of the vagina can be noticed. When vaginal dysbacteriosis appears the discharge increases and it becomes cloudy, or looks yellowish, and has an unpleasant smell of rotten fish. In addition, there might be discomfort in the vagina, the impossibility of normal sexual intercourse due to pain, itching and burning when urinating. In severe cases, you may even get a fever. Most women confuse it with yeast infection and try treating it as such.
This disbalance can occur not only in adult women, but also in virgin girls.
The severity of the condition depends on the degree of disbalance in the vaginal microflora and the general state of the immunity.
If you go to your doctor, the first thing he/she will prescribe is an antibiotic. I am totally against the use any antibiotics because they suppress the immune system. Especially in this case. As I explained above, the first cause of vaginal dysbacteriosis is low immunity. You really don't want to suppress it even more. Antibiotics have a very long-lasting damaging effect on the immune system and you "getting better" is only a temporary condition. If you identified that you have vaginal dysbacteriosis, below are my recommendations on what to do with it and how to get rid of it in the quickest and most effective way. Basically, you need to adjust your diet and add the right bacteria into your body.
Here is what you need to be doing:
1. Completely eliminate all carbohydrates from your diet. Not just sugar, pasta, and bakery, but almost all carbs. Fruits have carbs and these are okay. Eat no more than 1 fruit a day though. Carbohydrates feed bad bacteria and make the condition in your vagina worse.
2. Eat as many fresh green leafy vegetables as possible. When going to the grocery store focus on green fruits and vegetables. This is the best way to increase your immunity.
3. Completely eliminate alcohol and strong coffee. They acidify your body and create a perfect environment for bad bacteria to grow, while killing good ones.
4. For the entire duration of therapy you should completely stop sexual activity without the use of condoms. Unprotected sexual intercourse can significantly worsen the condition with vaginal dysbacteriosis.
5. Be sure to buy yourself a vaginal probiotic similar to the one in the photo.
If you do all these 5 things your vaginal dysbacteriosis will go away in an “English manner” (without saying goodbye.)
In addition, you can do (but don’t have to) the following:
Brew oak bark in a thermos or in a container which can keep a hot temperature for a long time. Pour 300 ml of boiling water over 1 Tbsp. of the oak bark. Close the lid tight and let it sit for 3 hours. After that filter and use for douching once a day. The best time to do this is before bed and after intercourse if you are planning to have it. Prepare a fresh portion every day. Follow this regime for 14 days.
Prevention of vaginal dysbacteriosis
If you frequent have vaginal dysbacteriosis, I recommend:
- drinking vaginal probiotics every 3-6 months
- support immunity with fresh green vegetables and fruits in your diet
- limit the intake of carbohydrates, alcohol and coffee
- keep your genitalless clean
- limit the number of your sexual partners to one
- use condoms